The Secrets to Perfect Pizza Dough
Pizza dough is made with only a few basic ingredients. But there’s no doubt that some pizza crusts have much better texture and taste than others. Those of us who have suffered gummy or soggy doughs might just be in the process. Try these 3 tips for your perfect pizza crust yet.
- MEASURE Always weigh out your ingredients. Don’t do it by volume or percentages. This will ensure it’s accurate everytime.
- WATER TEMPERATURE Aim for 110ºF-115ºF water to mix with your yeast.
- PROOFING Before you’re ready to make pizza, pull the dough out of the fridge an hour ahead of time. It will temper making it a lot easier to handle.
This pizza dough recipe is great because it’s made of 50% water content, making it easier to shape and form.
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 227 grams flour
- 113.4 grams warm (110ºF-115ºF) water
- 3.75 grams sugar
- 1.5 grams instant yeast - Make sure to check the expiration date on the package, if it is too old it won't activate.
- 3.25 grams canola oil
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add to the mixing bowl and all dry ingredients and mix together until all the flour has absorbed the water. This should be done at a low speed of 1, or an equivalent setting.
- Once the flour has absorbed all the water, stop the mixer and add the Canola oil. Turn the mixer to medium speed and mix for another 4-6 minutes or until oil has been incorporated. Over mixing or mixing too quickly can cause the dough to stick.
- If the dough is sticking to the bowl, try mixing at a lower speed. Each flour has a different absorption rate, so speed and water content can be adjusted accordingly.
- Form into balls and let rise or proof for 24 hours in the fridge.